Our motto, 'We reach out and care', is personified in our community services and outreach programmes. It is a well-known fact that one person in the world goes blind every five seconds and a one child goes blind every minute. Fortunately almost 80% of this blindness is avoidable, provided medical intervention takes place, well in time.
The PBMA's H.V.Desai Eye Hospital in partnership with Lions Club Juhu, started the Lion’s Juhu CommunityOophthalmology Institute on 6th September 2008. It is a dedicated wing, providing care and treatment to the needy and underpriviledged section of society, at a nominal cost or free of charge. It is equipped with the most modern technological advancements at the OPD as well as IPD level. Due to through planning and a committed strategy along with dedicated efforts to reach out and reduce the incidence of avoidable blindness , the Institute has emerged as a high quality , high volume center in the Western region of the nation.
The hospital, has an intricate and meticulous system, set up for detection of cataract and other ocular diseases coupled with provision of post operative eye care throughout various regions of the State. The transport facilities for the patients, accommodation and meals are all provided at the hospital. We believe in the practice of community ophthalmology and work as per the principles of 'VISION 2020 – The Right to ight, India', which is a part of the excellent global initiative, to eliminate avoidable blindness. The aim is to contribute to the prevention of blindness initiative, through service delivery, training, mentoring, project consultancy , advocacy and research in the eye care delivery.
Mentoring and training:
Under 'Vision 2020 – The Right to Sight, India, initiative, PBMA's H.V.Desai Eye Hospital, has played, a pivotal role, in developing strategic planning for various eye hospitals. In addition to this, we are well prepared to provide help and assistance to solve any problems which may have occurred or help and assist via telephone / email to other hospitals, in our friend network.
As part of training , the following project are ongoing / completed :
- SCALE project: funded by the SEVA foundation , the project provide strategic planning of mentee hospitals. PBMA’s H.V.Desai Eye Hospital is one of the 6 mentor hospitals in india ,having 8 mentee hospitals under it .
- PHFI ROP project
- PHFI Diabetic retinopathy project
- National ROP project : another multicentric project which has already been completed
PBMA’s H.V.Desai Eye Hospital is involvedin the following ongoing projects
- REACH (refractive error among children ) project-This is the first paperless project in India. It is financed by ORBIS and is a multi-centric project, responsible for screening and management of 3.5 lac. school going children, over a span of 3 years, in Satara District, in Maharastra State.
- It involves screening and management of 1 lac. school going children, in Pune District,in Maharastra State. It is funded by SEVA foundation .
- childhood blindness project (Pediatric Blindness) –This was the first pediatrics blindness project set up by PBMA's H.V.Desai Eye Hospital with financial aid from ORBIS. The focus, was laid heavily on infrastructure development, HR development and service delivery.
- save your sight project – This was a Diabetic Retinopathy project funded by ORBIS.
- TROP project – This project was funded by Sightsavers. It was a first-of- its kind project in Western India for Retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) with the utilization of the revolutionary Retcam ophthalmic equipment.
Research and Quality monitoring :
As a routine procedure, the hospital monitors it cataract surgical outcome, along with which, there is periodical generation of evidence, for operational issues of the hospital and outreach activity with the use of HMIS.
We have also been supported by corporates, other NGO's and numerous individual donors towards our community endeavours.
Those willing to extend support to us; be a partner in our mission, to eradicate avoidable blindness by sponsoring eye camps and / or cataract surgeries, could contact us at +91-20-26970144 | 26970043.